Monday, June 6, 2011

The Subway.

One thing i absolutely love about this city is the Subway.

I know a lot of flack has been thrown on the MTA for cutting services and increasing fares.  But i have always been fascinated with the New York Subway system.

I've been to other countries subways, and i've riden ours plenty.  I am never un-entertained while ridding the train.  Moments like being in a train next to another and seeing all the people clearly through the windows, fighting the urge to wave at them (okay, i've waived every now and then).  The shockwave that you feel as a train comes speeding into a station mere inches from your body.  How about the many musicians, comedians, jugglers, and whatever-else-you'd-have-the-balls-to-doer's on the trains?

I mean, call me easily amused, but even the sheer size and complexity of New Yorks Subway amazes me when i remember that it's around one hundred years old.  It's still ticking after one hundred years of use.  24 hour use i might add.

My point is that the Subway has got to be one of the few things in my life i still sort of marvel at.  Magicians all look hokey, CGI replacing animatronics and puppets kinda ruined movies for me, but the Subway will always be a wonderful little marvel of New York to me.

Some things I like about the subway

Train Surfing.


Always a fun way to ride if your doing something else with your hands and cant hold the pole, like reading a book or manipulating an ipod.  Just keep your knees bent as much as you can!

How hearing the door closing chime always makes you start leaning into train acceleration.


but it's soooooo awkward for your brain when the train doesn't move as soon and you just look weird.

The feeling of slight vertigo when going up a really steep escalator.


don't try to act like it doesn't make you a little dizzy.

Some things i really hate about the subway.


No matter how many sign the put up, you somehow don't know a certain train isn't running and you get screwed.


Then everyone has to get off the platform and wait for a connecting train.  Or get out and walk to another god damn station.

Trying to get off the train durring rush hour.


It's seriously a damn battle to the death!  Plus there's always some asshole who's going to try to get on when you're getting off...  You guys know who you are, stop it.

Cutting services and raising fares.

This is just stupid and pisses me off.

So that's my two cents.  What do you think of the subway?

No comments:

Post a Comment